Re: Object .vs. Relational

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 09:27:43 -0500

From my limited use of Oracle's OO functionality, it does not appear to have the level of support that relational has.

Examples:

You don't have as much flexibility when altering OO structures after they are created. Once you have dependencies, you often have to drop everything and start over. A method that I have foud useful is to use standard relational structures, and then build OO views on top of them (although you may have to write some update trigger code).

OO doesn't seem to be fully supported in all tools, such as relication.

JDBC (and probably OCI/Pro*C) access to OO structures is more complicated and non-standard.

OO *does* appear to be required to use Oracle's XML tools for working with nested and complex structures. (OO views work OK here).

-Peter