Re: Oracle/VMS performance problems with Multithreaded Server

From: Jan Vorbrueggen <jan_at_mailhost.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Date: 07 Nov 2000 17:48:23 +0100

"I.A. Saez" <"i.a.saez.<secret>"@tue.nl> writes:

> That MTS does not work under Unix is not such a problem. Proces creation
> (for dedicated processes) is cheap under Unix. Process creation under
> VMS costs a lot more (seconds!)

This is mostly folklore. Actual process creation is remarkbly similar in Unix and VMS. What differs is that the created process by default receives a copy of the original process's address space in Unix; however, this isn't used that often (most fork() calls are followed by an exec() call). What tends to make the perception of process creation as slow is the additional overhead of setting up the environment of DCL (symbols, logical names) when SPAWNing (when will that improvement to the DCL SPAWN code finally be released, I wonder!?); however, all that can be turned off. And on a current Alpha, the situation is quite different fron a VAX-11/725 with regard to the resources consumed by a $CREPRC call.

        Jan Received on Tue Nov 07 2000 - 10:48:23 CST