Re: Can connect internal prompted with password ???

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 23:05:20 GMT

In our last gripping episode Kjetil Skotheim <kjetilskotheim_at_iname.com> wrote:

> I think the user is prompted for password when starting
> svrmgrl from any unix user other than 'oracle'. If he is
> 'oracle' when starting svrmgrl, then he already got sufficient
> "access rights", and for that reason is not asked for password.
>
> Jimmy wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In svrmgrl, can I prompt for user to input password when the
 user "connect
> > internal" even on the local machine?
> > My oracle in on unix platform with version 7.3.4.
> >
> > Jimmy
>
> --
> Kjetil Skotheim
> kjetilskotheim_at_iname.com

svrmgrl does not prompt for a password when started. The 'Password:' prompt is displayed when attempting to connect to an instance. When logged into the O/S (UNIX/Linux) as 'oracle' one can 'connect internal' through svrmgrl and be assured no password will be required. All other users attempting to 'connect internal' WILL receive the 'Password:' prompt and even with a correct password for 'internal' access will be denied with the message 'insufficient privileges'.

Since nothing of any substance can be accomplished through svrmgrl without first connecting to an instance it is not necessary to password protect the svrmgrl executable.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/