Re: Help: STALE logs problem

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:48:27 GMT

In our last gripping episode kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an 8.1.6 database on Linux. I created 5 redo log groups, 2
> members each.
>
> Tried to do an update, but the "commit" command just hung for a long
> time and would not complete. I suspected the redo logs. Sure enough, 4
> of the 5 groups were STALE - all 4 groups' members.
>
> My question is, what would cause 4 of 5 groups to go completely STALE?
> Could an improper shutdown cause this? (Turns out the machine was
 being
> rebooted without shutting down Oracle first).
>
> Thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Whenever LGWR cannot write to a member of a group, Oracle marks that member as stale and writes an error message to the LGWR trace file and to the database's alert file to indicate the problem with the inaccessible files. I would check the background dump destination for LGWR trace files to determine the exact cause of this problem.

As to the system shutdown question if you have the system properly configured your rc scripts should be bringing up and shutting down the instance whenever Linux is shutdown or booted. If the system is truly shutting down without shutting down Oracle you will have far more problems than stale redo log files.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA