Re: sqlplus wrapper for history & editing

From: <bryan_w_taylor_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:50:13 GMT

I'm using a redhat variant (gentus) on a dual celeron running 8.1.5.0.2.

I put some diagnostic fprintf's in the code. The forking is happening successfully. With user/password arguments, the "SQL>" that scrolls endlessly is from the sqlplus child.

If you invoke it with no arguments, readlin appears to read the user input correctly, but then it appears to jump out of the main while loop below the readline initialization after one pass. I'm still trying to figure out why this happens.

I'm wondering if the scriptwriter used a different version of the readline library than I have. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tell what version I have.

"Brian McKerr" <bmckerr_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I was actually going to write my own wrapper in perl, I had
> written the first few lines of code (seriously !)a few days ago;
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> End Of script
>
> I was then browsing this group and saw your post, so I
> downloaded the script compiled it and had exactly the same.
> This was on;
>
> Compaq PIII 550
> EIDE Hard Disk
> 192mb PC100
> Redhat Linux 6.2
> Oracle 8.1.6 with local database
>
> What platform did you have trouble with ?

> <bryan_w_taylor_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > I just stumbled across a GPL'd wrapper for sqlplus that
> > uses the FSF's readline library to implement command history
> > and better command line editing. This readline wrapper
> > was written by Angus Mackay in 1999, but there's no
> > documentation other than the c code comments. It's at:
> >
> > http://www.orafaq.com/scripts/c_src/sqlpp.txt
> >
> > Unfortunately, I've never worked with readline before
> > and I'm doing something wrong, because the wrapper doesn't
> > accept input correctly for me. I did get it to compile, and
> > readline seems to kickoff and launch
> > the sqlplus child process, but when I enter the username,
> > the program just ends. Using username/password arguments
> > just results in "SQL>" scrolling endlessly down my page.
> >
> > Has anybody used the above utility?
> >
> > Does anybody who has programmed with the readline library
> > have advice on how to configure it?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 06 2000 - 11:50:13 CST