Re: Archive mode

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:44:24 -0600

>> precisely. increasing the size of the redo log files, however, CAN
>> potentially reduce the frequency of log switches.
>
> I don't know about "potentially"!

i said "potentially" only because it is possible for log switches to occur before the online redo log is filled. that is, a log switch can be triggered by an "alter system" statement. in some shops (for example, running a remote "hot standby" database), log switches can be occuring at regular intervals, for example, as the result of a script scheduled from cron.

> So, I'd go further than you and say that there's a *direct* correlation
> between log size and frequency of switching.

yes, i agree there is a direct correlation, since a log switch will occur every time the current online redo log is filled.

> But, as we've known for aeons: size isn't everything. And, as you say,
> it certainly isn't when it comes to hangs due to switching back on top
> of yourself!

exactly. more log groups, not larger members, avoids that problem !