Re: Software package and Data base

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 09:38:15 -0600

often, there business rules, dependencies and actions which are enforced by code in the software package, and which are not enforced by the database as a constraint or a trigger.

take as a simple example, the placement of an "order". the software may insert a row into the "order" table, but may also read and/or update several other tables, for example, to check availability of an ordered item and update the "inventory" table. an external interface, inserting a row directly into the "order" table will, most likely, bypass the inventory check, and may bypass other checks of other integrity constraints.

in some cases, a new release of a software packages may make changes to the structure (schema) of the underlying database tables, but continue to support a published interface. this is true for a lot of software packages.

even a relational database engine provides an interface that you normally do not bypass. would it make sense, for example, to write code that "reads" database files directly, rather than using a supported SQL interface ?