Re: Oracle8 question #2

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 19:01:42 GMT

In our last gripping episode jkyao_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> so, if I have two instance for two databases. I can open two of them
> at the same time in the same server? But when I login and startup
> another database, it always ask me to shut down first.
>
> JK
>
> In article <8tsfdl$kcq$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> gmei_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > If you mean two oracle instances on the same server at the same
 time,
> > then the answer is YES.
> >
> > In article <8ts7f9$cjl$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > jkyao_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > >

> > > Can more than one databases open in the same server at the same
 time?
> > > Can I create a database connection between two databases in the
 same
> > > server? When I do replication can I distribute the copies of data
> > > another database in the same server?
> > >
> > > plz clarify,
> > > thanks a lot
> > >
> > > jkyf_at_us.sina.com
> > > JK
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You are being asked to shut ORACLE down because you are trying to start the same instance that is currently running. To start a second instance you'll need to change the ORACLE_SID to point to the second instance. For example if you have MYDB and MYOTHERDB instances created and your ORACLE_SID is set to MYDB you cannot start MYOTHERDB because you are not "pointing" to it. Change the ORACLE_SID to MYOTHERDB (in UNIX this would be:

     ORACLE_SID=MYOTHERDB; export ORACLE_SID

For NT:

     set ORACLE_SID=MYOTHERDB
)

and make another attempt. You should be able to get the second instance started.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA