Re: Archive mode

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 09:15:30 +1100

"chandu" <chandu_at_afconsindia.com> wrote in message news:3A0299E6.AF837ED1_at_afconsindia.com...
> You may be aware when log switch occurs, ARCH backgrouns process starts
 writing
> RedoLog files to Archiver destination...If Redologfile are not written
 fully
> before another Logswitch occurs, it will hang... there are lot of
 solutions for
> solving this problem...one of them would be increase the size of Redolog
 files...

First, the problem is NOT "if redologfile are not written fully before another Logswitch occurs, it will hang'. The problem is actually that if another logswitch occurs *which would cause you to switch BACK to the log still being archived* then it will hang.

In other words, if you have logs 1 and 2, when you switch from 1 into 2, ARCH starts copying 1. If you then switch from 2 *back* to 1 before that copy has finished, then the system will hang until the copy is completed. BUT... if there was a third log group, then you would be able to switch from 2 to 3 with no problem, and 3 to 1 would probably work, because of the extra time you've given ARCH to finish its copying.

So the solution becomes obvious: adding more redo log groups will help prevent system hangs.

Making the log files almost certainly won't help at all -yes, it takes longer to fill up a bigger log, and hence the switch will be delayed. But once it *does* switch, ARCH has more work to do, copying a bigger file. In the general case, the two are likely to cancel each other out, and achieve precisely nothing.

Regards
HJR