interesting problem with tnsnames.ora

From: <maoshi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 02:20:08 GMT

I have Oracle 8.0.5 server installed on a NT workstation. I also edited tnsnames.ora file for connecting to other Oracle 8.0 databases either on Unix or NT. It had worked for months until today. Today I added one more connection in tnsnames.ora file. However, SQL plus kept saying that tns could not resolve the service name.

Then, I changed other connection strings in the file and found that the old string still worked while new strings couldn't be resolved.

At last, I rmoved the tnsnames.ora file and found the old connection strings still worked for sql plus and other clients !!

I searched all directories to make sure there was only one tnsnames.ora file. I picked also one connection string and did a search in all files but didn't find
any other file that contained the string.

Anybody has had similar experience? I don't have a name service.

Maoshi
e-Engineering
GE R&D
guma_at_crd.ge.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 02 2000 - 20:20:08 CST