Re: Estimate or analyze statistics

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 19:07:28 +0800

hellothere wrote:

> Running Oracle 8.0.5 on Solaris 2.6
> I apologize in advance if this has been addressed, but are there any
> hard and fast rules
> about estimating vs. analyzing statistics? I've seen table size
> mentioned, as well data skew.
> Is it even feasible to analyze and compute statistics on tables in the
> multiple gigabyte range (20+ GB)?
>
> TIA
Typically a large proportion of the analyze time (in a compute) is the sorting involved around the column statistics...You may be able to get some benefit from a hybrid, for example,

analyze ... compute statistics for table for all indexes; analyze ... compute statistics sample n percent for all indexed columns size 1;

HTH HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Early to bed and early to rise,
 makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." - some dead guy