Re: Installing 8.1.6.1 on Linux RedHat v7

From: Paul Dembry <pade_at_trifox.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 17:43:31 GMT

"Greg Stark" <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu> wrote in message news:87aebix5n3.fsf_at_HSE-MTL-ppp62507.qc.sympatico.ca...

> "Paul Dembry" <pade_at_trifox.com> writes:
>
> > We had 8.1.6.1 running on RedHat v6 and it was good. Now we have
 upgraded
> > to a faster box w/RedHat v7. When I install
> > 8.1.6.1, it installs fine until it tries to build the predefined DBMS.
 Then
> > it hangs at the 80% complete level and never advances even though
 svrmgrl is
> > consuming 90+% of the CPU. Has anyone else run into this? Is this
 related
> > to some kernel parms that have to be modified? RedHat is built on
 modules
> > and so you do not usually have to rebuild the kernel.
>
> The 8.1.6 install is not compatible with the version of libc that comes
 with
> RedHat 7. The version of libc that comes with RedHat 7 is supposed to be
> backwards compatible at run-time, however because of the relinking process
> Oracle goes through it breaks.
>
> I would suggest you copy over the binaries and libraries from your working
> Redhat 6 box. This is normally not recommended however in this case it's
> *exactly* what you want.

Thanks Greg! I originally copied the Oracle 8.1.6 installation from my v6 to v7 but found that I could not connect within svrmgrl:

connect internal
password:

It kept asking me for a password even though the uid/gid of the user is identical to that of the v6 oracle user. That's why I did the fresh reinstall. I will try the stuff you recomended and see if I get it running. Paul Received on Thu Nov 02 2000 - 11:43:31 CST