oracle and wallets

From: Dieter Leinweber <Dieter.Leinweber_at_d-leinweber.de>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:32:18 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to configure SSL with the advanced security option. The database is an Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition on Linux.

The networking stuff of the configuration (sqlnet.ora, etc.) seems to be ok. The problem is the certificates inside the wallets. I tried to use some certificates from a Microsoft Certification Service on a server in my company. The certificates (CA and user) could be imported into the wallets without error. But when i tried to make a connection i got a ORA-28786 error. It seems that the encryption algorithm used is wrong.

Unfortunately i found no detailled instructions on how to create the wallets. So here are my questions:

  1. What kind of certificate must be created for the database-server? A user- or a (web)server-certificate? What is the right name (cn) for the database?
  2. What kind of certificate must be created for the database-client? A user- or a (web)server-certificate? What is the right name (cn) for the client? Must there be a corresponding db-user?
  3. How can i get a certificate? On the Verisign-Internetpage i found only test-certificates for webservers.

I hope that anyone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Dieter Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 10:32:18 CST