Re: Accented Characters with US7ASCII

From: Matthew Fuller <matthewlf_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:09:52 GMT

Keith,

Have been dealing with something similar. Here's what I can tell you.

So, if you're application can "interpret" the ASCII codes stored in your database and display what you want; and, if you're sure that you'll never want to EXPort your database to have a backup, then you may just be able to get away with it. Otherwise, you are SOL until you convert to an 8-bit charset.

Have fun.

Matt.

In article <8topho$eha$1_at_kermit.esat.net>,   "Keith Jamieson" <Keith.Jamieson_at_phoenix.ie> wrote:
> Is it possible to use accented characters with the US7ASCII
 charcacter set.
> Specifically, I have Oracle 8, US7ASCII, and German, where I need to
 use
> special german characters.
>
> I know I can do this using the WEIISO charcacter sets, but I have a
> restriction imposed, which means I must use the US7ASCII character
 set.

> I will be happy if I can verify that I put the character into the
 database
> and read the correct ascii value out of the database.
>
> TIA
>
> Keith Jamieson
> Phoenix Technology Group

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 17:09:52 CST