Re: Accented Characters with US7ASCII

From: Paul Moore <paul.moore_at_uk.origin-it.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:44:20 +0100

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:57:13 +0100 , "Keith Jamieson" <Keith.Jamieson_at_phoenix.ie> wrote:

>Is it possible to use accented characters with the US7ASCII charcacter set.
>Specifically, I have Oracle 8, US7ASCII, and German, where I need to use
>special german characters.
>
>I know I can do this using the WEIISO charcacter sets, but I have a
>restriction imposed, which means I must use the US7ASCII character set.
>
>I will be happy if I can verify that I put the character into the database
>and read the correct ascii value out of the database.

You cannot do this. The US7ASCII character set is 7-bit only, and includes no accented characters (or the British £ sign, which is the problem which hit me...)

Any high-bit-set characters are replaced with '?'.

Essentially, the restriction on you says "your database can only use ASCII characters", ie no accents.

Paul. Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 05:44:20 CST