Re: Accented Characters with US7ASCII

From: <joseharvey_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:44:07 GMT

> Is it possible to use accented characters with the US7ASCII
 charcacter set.
> Specifically, I have Oracle 8, US7ASCII, and German, where I need to
 use
> special german characters.
> I will be happy if I can verify that I put the character into the
 database
> and read the correct ascii value out of the database.
Hi Keith,
unfortunately, this is not possible. The character set US7ASCII has only 128 chars, not including German umlauts. Try this:
SQL> select convert('Ä', 'US7ASCII') from dual; C
-
1 row selected.
SQL> select convert(convert('ä', 'US7ASCII'), 'WE8ISO8859P9') from dual; C
-
1 row selected.
As you can see, converting anything to US7ASCII results in information loss.

HTH Jose

--
-=[ Sancho ]=-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/