Re: time shift in sheduled job

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:54:21 GMT

In article <8top5a$eb3$1_at_kermit.esat.net>,   "Keith Jamieson" <Keith.Jamieson_at_phoenix.ie> wrote:
> Ift you're on Unix, why don't you just schedule a CRON job to kick
 off your
> procedure every 2 Hours.
>
> Keith Jamieson
> Phoenix Technology Group
>
> James wrote in message ...
> >Thank you for your input.
> >
> >The problem is that the duration will be different every time the
 procedure
> >runs.
> >
> >Also it seems to me that it is not true in my case that "NEXT_DATE
 are
> >calculated using the value specified in interval and the time the job
> >ENDED". I have run the job for a few days. Each time the job will
 take a
 few
> >minutes to 20 minutes ( I have a log to track the duration) to
 finish but
> >the time shift is about 12 minutes for the past 4 days.

 good.
 But I
 shifting
 from
 the job
 at
 12:00
 may
 be
 4:02.
 can
 re-submit
 the
 next_date

 accurate.
 But,

> >> You are accurate about the next time calculation however your
 solution
> >> will not work as it returns an error from SQL*Plus:
> >>

> >> SQL> select to_char(sysdate, 'DD/MM/YYYY:HH24') + 1/12
> >> 2* from dual
> >> SQL> /
> >> ERROR:
> >> ORA-01722: invalid number
> >>

> >> no rows selected
> >>
> >> As I stated in a previous post the time shift constant will need
 to be
> >> slightly less than 1/12 to compensate for the run time of the job.
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Fitzjarrell
> >> Oracle Certified DBA
> >>

> >> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >> Before you buy.

There are good and bad aspects of cron.
The good:

The bad:

That being said the choice is really up to the person running the job. For repeatable, essentially drift-free schedules cron is the best bet. For efficient use of Oracle resources DBMS_JOB is the best method. It is unfortunate that DBMS_JOB introduces a bit of 'time creep' in the scheduled jobs. Outside of using a shift constant that compensates as best as possible for the lag I can find no other solution with DBMS_JOB.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA