Re: Minimum hardware for Linux

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 06:20:48 GMT

"Shelby Cain" <scain_at_remove-all-this-aisconsulting.com> writes:

> We ran a very small 8.0.x database (<100000 total records) on a p-166 linux
> box with 64 megs of ram for development purposes and found it quite usable.
>
> I'm not certain if you would want to try 8.1.x on 64 megs of ram though.

Ironically it's the installer that will be most painful in 64 megs. The database should run for one or two users, but running java under 64 megs is tight.

One thing you could do is generate the database creation scripts, exit java and then run the scripts. so at least you're never running java and oracle at the same time.

Don't install any optional packages like SQLJ or Replication. Shut down anything else running on the same system like apache or whatever.

Still it will all depend on the number of users. For one or two users doing nothing else, well it might work. For any more you would need more memory and more horsepower.

I would suggest a PII with 256M is a better starting point.

--
greg