Re: svrmgrl problems

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 15:05:05 GMT

In our last gripping episode kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Yes, that's correct. I guess I was confused. So for some reason the
> dbstart and dbshut scripts don't work.
>
> In article <8tnggr$hgl$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote:
> > In our last gripping episode kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Here's the problem:
> > >
> > > I cannot run svrmgrl as root. This is the error I get:
> > >
> > > [root]# svrmgrl
> > > ld.so.1: svrmgrl: fatal: libjava.so: open failed: No such file or
> > > directory
> > >
> > > I have set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in root's .bash_profile to no
 avail.

> > > The reason this is a problem is because svrmgrl gets called from
 the
> > > dbstart and dbshut scripts which get called from dbora, which get
> > > called as root when the machine reboots. I have got this working
 on
> > > other machines, but not here.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > You should be calling the dbstart and dbshut scripts using su:
> >
> > su - oracle -c dbstart
> >
> > The database should be started as 'oracle', not as 'root'.
> >
> > --
> > David Fitzjarrell
> > Oracle Certified DBA
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I would verify that by executing dbstart and dbshut from the command line -- yes, I realize that this is not what Oracle recommends however it is the surest way to discover if the scripts are working and, if not, why not.

Before you run the scripts you will want to make a change to them. These will be /bin/sh scripts and should have the following as the first line:

#!/bin/sh

Just below that line add the following:

set -x

This will trace the execution of the script while it executes displaying commands, variables, etc. This should show the trouble spot or spots with the script and should allow you to determine what changes need be made to enable the scripts to function properly. Should you have trouble with this feel free to email me privately and I'll be more than happy to assist.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA