Re: Is Oracle "very" hard to learn?

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:08:03 GMT

In our lst gripping episode Liz Reen <lizr_at_geologist.com> wrote:
> In article <8t2cda$oed$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, dellera_at_my-deja.com says...
> >

> > > The certification exams will guarntee a certain amount of minimum
> > > knowlege,
> >
> > It also guarantees the you know something of _every_ aspect of
 Oracle -
> > that you are not only (as a contrived example) a sql guru who knows
> > nothing of pl/sql, thus missing the opportunity to do in 10 minutes
> > something that requires 1 week if written in pure sql.
>
> Agreed, but it says nothing about whether or not you can apply the
> knowledge.
>
> Liz

Knowledge is power, and power in inexperienced hands can wreak havoc on a system. Simply "knowing" the material, with no practical experience applying it, is much like the young boy who sat, day after day, watching a champion diver dive. With each dive the young boy studied and memorized each and every move the diver made. One day, weeks later, the young boy climbed up on the diving board and attempted his first dive. He tried to execute every move the champion diver made but executed, instead, a miserable failure of a dive. The now-confused boy was approached by the champion whereupon the boy expressed his frustration -- he had executed every move the champion made but his dive was nowhere near recognizable. The champion explained, "You know the moves, but you don't know the feel." Knowing the information is one thing, but having no feel for how the information is to be applied will create more problems than would be corrected.

Yes, I am certified, but I certified 12 years after I started in this part of my career (I started out as a chemist some 22 years ago). Knowing how the information was to be applied helped tremendously. I wouldn't recommend certification for those unfamiliar with Oracle or its administration.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/