oracle 8i

From: P. Stewart <someone_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:57:44 -0000

currently I'm experimenting with LOBs in Oracle8i. In a document I got information as creating a table with LOBs. When my document says to create the following table,
create table lob_table(key_value integer

                                , b_lob blob
                                , c_lob clob
                                , n_lob nclob
                                , f_lob bfile);
, and afterwords i describle that table,  (key_value number(38)
, b_lob undefined
, c_lob undefined
, n_lob undefined
, f_lob undefined),

all my column-type's are undefined. Is my oracle dbase not updated or do i have to define it manually? I've had some error message's that I need to update my dbase, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this. (our dbase admin is not availible right now). Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm really stuck here.
Thanks in advantage.

ps. my dbase version is:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition release 8.1.6.0.0 JServer release 8.1.6.0.0 Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 04:57:44 CST