PMON: terminating instance due to error 601

From: Chris Milner <chris.milner_at_shopsmart.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:56:37 +0000

Hi,

I've changed a few standard init.ora parameters on my 8.1.5 production database, and every hour or so, the instance crashes with the above reported in the alert.log. There's no trace file written!

I changed the shared_pool from 150M to 100M
...the large_pool from 100M to 200M
...set pre_page_sga=no
...set log_archive_interval = 0
...and increased the sort area size to 4M

has anyone got any idea why this is happening?

The only other parameter that has changed is the /etc/system semmns from 1000 to 25000....but the limit for this is reported at 65000.

I'm on 8.1.5.1, Sun solaris 2.7.

I've since reverted to the original init.ora, so if it fails again...i'm in trouble!....it has just happened again, so the only thing that has changed is the semmns parameter?

Regards
chris

Chris Milner
Shopsmart Limited