Re: How to get the size of raw device files

From: Kevin Brand <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:16:16 -0600

If your platform is using an LVM, take a look at the docs for it. You should be able to execute something in the LVM command set to list the size of the raw device. Under AIX for example you would use lslv(1).

If no LVM is in use, maybe these raw device files represent entire disks, in which case you could just find the hardware path to the disk ( via the device file I suspect ) and then find its size.

Regarding the dd stuff...
Why not use bs=8192000 or something and slap it to /dev/null?