Re: ORA-00020 too many processes

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:45:52 GMT

In article <39FEFC2F.6D6C5DA3_at_mssm.edu>,   Harry Andree <Harry_Andree_at_mssm.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are running Oracle 8.1.5 on Windows NT. We are using an
 application
> server
> uysing JDBC connections to the database. The system ran fine for
 about
> a year
> but now seems to be running out of processes. Nothing has changed
 that
> comes to our mind but the use of the system increased. We have upped
> the
> number of processes to 1200. The system reached 800 processes in a
> couple
> of days after restarting the server. Restarting the application server
> and
> reinitializing the connections freeed up some processes but not the
> majority.
>
> The question:
> Is this number of processes normal?
> If yes what should be a safe number of processes?
> Is there something that prevents release of processes?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Harry Andree
>
> Server: DELL 6300, 512 MBytes RAM, 5 disks, Windows NT 4.0 (Service
 pack
> 5)
> Oracle 8.1.5 enterprice edition.
> Connection through TNS listener over I.P.
> Application server running JDBC with multiple connections to the
> listener.

You mention that the use has increased over the last year, but you don't say how much the increase is. If the usage has doubled then it is not unreasonable to expect that you would be running out of processes. Doubling the initial setting of the init.ora 'processes' parameter would not be unrealistic, and 1200 does not appear to me to be excessive.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/