Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA (part 3)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:42:37 +1100

I agree. I keep forgetting there are stuffed bits of software sitting on top of these things.
(One could suggest finding a new software vendor -but I think we're in the real world now, Toto!)

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

"Liz Reen" <lizr_at_geologist.com> wrote in message

> True 8i is wonderful for that, but if your software vendor will not
> support you because you moved off of 7.3.4 and their software gives new
> meaning to buggy. You don't move. I did try upgrading the dev box to
> 8.0, there were too many problems to make it worth while.
>
> Liz
>
> In article <39f536b2$1_at_news.iprimus.com.au>, howardjr_at_www.com says...
> > The theory is fine, Liz, and to that extent I agree with you. However,
if
> > you want to transport a tablespace, move a table without having to
recreate
> > all indexes, triggers and permissions, or investigate the redo logs with
> > view to total data recovery -guess what? You have to have 8i... and if
> > you're going to have 8i, you'd best have the version that works (ie
8.1.6).

> > There is a wealth of new stuff in 8i that warrants the upgrade on its
own.
> > Just mho
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > "Liz Reen" <lizr_at_geologist.com> wrote in message
> > > In article <39f049d4_at_news.iprimus.com.au>, howardjr_at_www.com says...
Oracle 8