Re: log switching question

From: Allan Plesniarski <aplesnia_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:13:11 GMT

This wouldn't be a telco billing app, would it?

To answer your question, it sounds like a bug. Log_checkpoint_interval and log_checkpoint_timeout should not affect log switches. Upgrading to the latest patch release of 8.0.6 might help.

It has been my experience that log_checkpoint_interval is in 512 byte blocks. In order to default it to the highest possible value, just comment it out.

Also, try setting log_checkpoint_timeout to a value other than 0, or commenting it out as well (verify default in doc).

In article <8FDD7750Dgambleiwcnet_at_63.211.125.91>,   gambleNOSPAM_at_iwc.net (Scott Gamble) wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Looking for some information on log_checkpoint_interval with
 respect to
> log switches.
>
> This may be purely a complete misunderstanding on my part, but I
 think I
> am missing something here or I cannot find the appropriate
 documentation.

> We have a database that is using 1 gig log files. and we are doing
 log
> switches/checkpoints _very_ frequently, in some cases in less than 10
> minutes and in _most_ cases those log files are less than the full 1
 gig,
> in fact they are considerablly less, in the area of 100-200m. We
 think
> this started after the recent upgrade to 8.0.6 but are not 100% sure.
>
> To start with here are the parameters as we have them defined.
>
> log_checkpoint_interval integer
 60000000
 0

> From what I have read log_checkpoint_timout, and
 log_checkpoint_interval
> control checkpoints. Neither of which should force a log switch
 based
> on the documention.
>
> Oracle seems to present conflicting information on this.
>
> The analyst that handled the TAR i opened said that a checkpoint will
> force a log switch and the solution to slow the check points down was
> raise log_checkpoint_interval to a number that could not be reached
 prior
> to the log filling up.
>
> From what I understand log_checkpoint_interval is the
> number of OS blocks, 60M OS blocks is bigger than our log size.
 Obviously I
> am missing something here.
>
> Looking at a post in Metalink, that oracle people replied to, what the
> analyst told me above is incorrect.
>
> I guess my question comes down to this
>
> 1) in the abscence of anyone doing an 'alter system switch logfile'
> why are the log files switching when they aren't full.
>
> Portion of v$archived_log
>
> BLOCKS BLOCK_SIZE TO_CHAR(COMPLE
> ---------- ---------- --------------
> 460952 1024 10/30/00 10:27
> 1024000 1024 10/30/00 11:54
> 226364 1024 10/30/00 11:02
> 405973 1024 10/30/00 11:25
>
> Portion of the alert log....
>
> Mon Oct 30 10:55:58 2000
> Beginning log switch checkpoint up to RBA [0x6a1.2.10], SCN:
> 0x0000.64cf083a
> Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 1697
> Current log# 4 seq# 1697 mem# 0: /u16/oradata/P013/redo4aP013.log
> Current log# 4 seq# 1697 mem# 1: /u17/oradata/P013/redo4bP013.log
> Mon Oct 30 11:02:11 2000
> Beginning log switch checkpoint up to RBA [0x6a2.2.10], SCN:
> 0x0000.64cf15d5
> Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 1698
> Current log# 5 seq# 1698 mem# 0: /u17/oradata/P013/redo5aP013.log
> Current log# 5 seq# 1698 mem# 1: /u18/oradata/P013/redo5bP013.log

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 30 2000 - 16:13:11 CST