Oracle8i temporary tables / stored procedures / visual basic

From: <gastineau_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:21:51 GMT

I'm attempting to use a temporary table in a complicated stored procedure. The stored procedure populates the temporary table then immediately uses it as the central table in a ref cursor query (all other tables are outer joined to the temporary table). The results are returned through a stored procedure parameter.

The procedure works when run from SQL*Plus, but when run from Visual Basic, it appears that the temporary table is empty when the cursor query is executed. I say this because replacing the temporary table with "dual" in the query causes one record to be returned (it was empty before).

If I drop the temporary table and create a permanent table of the same structure, then the stored procedure works from both SQL*Plus and VB. But with the permanent table, the code has to contend with avoiding conflict between concurrent transactions. Is there something about the way that VB interacts with the database that could be causing the Oracle8i temporary tables to not function as I would expect?

Thanks,
Brian Gastineau

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 30 2000 - 17:21:51 CST