Re: Server size

From: Russ Marcil <rmarcil_at_ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:31:23 -0800

Memory: If Solaris, they suggest 1MB of RAM per MHz per Processor (e.g., 2 processors at 450HZ would be 900MB of RAM), in addition to size of SGA, Server processes (PMON, SMON, etc..) and memory consumed by each concurrent user process. Memory for each user may vary based on the app, and based on cursors, etc..

Processors: 2 at highest available MHz may be sufficient, but we're not in production yet, so can't tell for sure yet.

Disk: Bare minimum of 4: Tables, Indices, Redo logs, all others on 4th. If using archiving in lieu of disk mirroring, add a bunch more. Large tables?.. (e.g., over a million rows) then consider striping the large tables across 2 disks.

You can view my current 8.1.5 Enterprise on Solaris 7 configuration summary at:

http://www-act.ucsd.edu/staff/rmarcil/oracle/Coeusppt.html

(this was a presentation I gave at a University conference).

-Russ