Re: MS OLEDB for Oracle

From: Graham <Graham_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:52:40 GMT

Barbara,

Connection pooling can be set for the MS OLEDB provider and I went through the steps to set that up. I'm actually executing functions and packaged procedures through the provider and not sending queries through. Plus this problem is happening when I just run a simple one call method in VB, and more complex calls take forever. You can look at my response to Matt for more information.

Thanks for you time

Graham Sutcliffe

Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com> wrote in message news:Ai%K5.2611$Cp1.267979_at_nntp2.onemain.com...
> I suspect that you are reconnecting for each and every query. In which
 case
> that is very expensive. It is possible that SQLServer and IIS have a
> connection pooling built in and hence the difference.
> Jim
> "Graham" <Graham_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried to get this answered on the OLEDB newsgroup, but it has very
> > little traffic. Wanted to know if anyone else ran into this while doing
> > VB/Oracle development.
> >
> > Specifications:
> > MS OLEDB for Oracle (MDAC 2.5) (local)
> > ASP (local)
> > Oracle 7.3.4 (remote)
> > VB6 SP3 using ADO
> >
> > I have written an ActiveX DLL using VB6SP3 that goes against SQL Server
 7.
> > Everthing works fine using the SQLOLEDB provider. I currently have a
 need
> > to change this over to Oracle using MSDAORA provider which is currently
> > complete, however I am running into performance issues. It takes well
 over
> > a minute longer to complete requests against a remote Oracle database
 than
> > it did against a remote SQL Server database. The ActiveX DLL is loaded
 on
> > different machine from the database and connection pooling is being used
 (I
> > made necessary changes to the registry and rebooted, however I don't
 know
> > how to prove this). The delays seem to come about when setting
> > ActiveConnection property and to a smaller extent the Execute method
> > (although I could attribute that just to the time it takes to execute).
> >
> > The question is why is there a delay and what can I do to prevent it?
 The