Re: VxFS Block Size

From: Viacheslav Leichinsky <v_leichinsky_at_ittoolbox.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:42:27 GMT

In article <39fcb39b.336211336_at_nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,   steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au (Steve Adams) wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> The VxFS block size has to do with space allocation. Specifically,
 there is one
> bit in the extent bitmap area for each data block in the filesystem.
 Extents can
> be allocated to files in extents of any binary power between 1 and
 2048 blocks.
> Unless direct I/O is being used, the size of I/O operations is the
 standard file
> system buffer size (typically 8K) and has nothing to do with the VxFS
 block
> size.

Sorry, but probably my fist attempt to ask a question regarding a memory page size was lost. Again, should I match db_block_size=file_ system_block size=memory_page_size?
And what about RAID controller cache memory ? Is this memory also divided into blocks (pages)? So should I rewrite previous statement as db_block_size=file_system_block_size= host_memory_page_size=RAID_controller_cache_memory_block_size ?

Regards,
Slava.

Could you clarify me this situation ? I have Reliant UNIX box with 16k memory page and Oracle on vxfs with 8k block size. What is the best db_block_size - 8k or 16k ? Should I match db_block_size to file system block size or memory page? And what about raw case? I'm wondering about relationship between db_block_size and memory page.

Regards,
Slava

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 30 2000 - 01:42:27 CST