Re: Question on MAXDATAFILES and Control Files.

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 04:42:43 +1100

For maxdatafiles, every extra file you specify takes an addition 180 bytes in the Control File. So the difference between a maxdatafiles of 30 (the default!!!!!!) and 3000 is 180000 bytes -or 180K. Anyone who can't afford an additional 180K of disk space wants to quit the Oracle game immediately.

Set 'em big and forget about 'em!

Incidentally, query v$control_file_record_section (or something very similarly-named!) and you can see what the max setting is for each parameter, what you are currently using, and the number of bytes per file pointer.

A fellow-instructor told me two weeks ago that db_files in the init.ora actually dynamically overcomes the limitations of a too-low maxdatafiles setting, so that you don't have to re-create the controlfile if you hit the limit. Magic if so, but I remain sceptical. Put it this way, I haven't gone to the effort of testing it!

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000