Re: Getting data via ODBC

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:06:30 GMT

In article <n51pvsklrt0m21kltkp2lu2rognmhkgpqq_at_4ax.com>,   Mark Styles <news_at_lambic.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 16:03:27 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
>
> >Access 2000 (and allegedly it hasn't changed much since 95):
> >
> >Assuming you have data in Access that you want to get into an Oracle
> >backend, highlight a table, click File - Export, and in the ensuing
 dialogue
> >box, select for files of type 'ODBC databases'.
> <snip lots of good info>
>
> Thanks for that, but actually I'm trying to find a way to do it the
> other way around. I.e. I want to make an ODBC call TO Access FROM
> Oracle, ideally automatically, and even more ideally in a stored
> procedure (but this might be asking too much!).

I suspect that you want to take a look at Oracle Generic Connectivity and Transparent Gateways <http://technet.oracle.com/products/gateways/>, probably more on the Generic Connectivity. Generic Connectivity is a rather recent creation, but it appears to allow the Oracle database to make ODBC or OLEDB calls to any ODBC- or OLEDB-enabled data source.

From your point of view, all you'll need to do is create a database link to the non-Oracle database (i.e. Access), and you'll be able to do selects, joins, etc. Oracle will be making all the necessary ODBC calls under the covers for you.

--
Justin Cave - Oracle ODBC Development

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not reflect those of
Oracle Corporation.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.