MS OLEDB for Oracle

From: Graham <Graham_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:55:35 GMT

I've tried to get this answered on the OLEDB newsgroup, but it has very little traffic. Wanted to know if anyone else ran into this while doing VB/Oracle development.

Specifications:

    MS OLEDB for Oracle (MDAC 2.5)        (local)
    ASP                                                          (local)
    Oracle 7.3.4                                              (remote)
    VB6 SP3 using ADO

I have written an ActiveX DLL using VB6SP3 that goes against SQL Server 7. Everthing works fine using the SQLOLEDB provider. I currently have a need to change this over to Oracle using MSDAORA provider which is currently complete, however I am running into performance issues. It takes well over a minute longer to complete requests against a remote Oracle database than it did against a remote SQL Server database. The ActiveX DLL is loaded on a different machine from the database and connection pooling is being used (I made necessary changes to the registry and rebooted, however I don't know how to prove this). The delays seem to come about when setting ActiveConnection property and to a smaller extent the Execute method (although I could attribute that just to the time it takes to execute).

The question is why is there a delay and what can I do to prevent it? The final design will have both ActiveX DLL and Oracle DB on the same server, but I am not sure if this is going to solve the delays when the permanent server is setup. Plus I'm currently testing, and it's obviously a very slow process. Would it help to access MSDAORA on the remote server containing Oracle? If so, how is that setup? Help on this would be greatly appreciated, I've racked my brain long enough.

Thanks,

Graham Sutcliffe Received on Sun Oct 29 2000 - 09:55:35 CST