Re: Shutdown hangon.

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 06:53:47 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> writes:

> The delay in a shutdown immediate (I've seen one take 6 hours) is because,
> having booted the users off, Oracle then rolls back whatever transactions
> were pending at the time of the shutdown command being issued. If you have
> a bezillion pending transactions that thus need to be rolled back, you can
> expect the shutdown not to happen for some time.

FWIW We've had the same experience. We do a regularly use shutdown immediate to take a cold backups; it normally takes a few seconds to kill all the sessions and roll back all the transactions. Occasionally it simply hangs and appears to be ready to hang indefinitely until an admin comes along and uses shutdown abort. This seems to happen about 1% of the time or so.

It should not be possible for it to be a user that has left an uncommitted transaction, since shutdown immediate should kick off any such users. It should not be possible for it to be an inordinate amount of rollback to apply since it's at the same time and under the same load consistently.

I am convinced this is simply an Oracle bug. A dead lock of some kind in the shutdown code, or a resource leak that makes Oracle think some session is still active after it's been killed, or who knows. We've opened Oracle TARs but they never seem interested in actually finding such bugs since they're hard to reproduce.

--
greg