Please Help with Maxed CPU usage

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:35:15 GMT

Can anyone provide me with any tips for the following problem?

We are running oracle 8.1.5 on NT.

We are developing a batch processing application coming in from 2 servers running multiple threads. Each machine employs a connection pool which is shared amongst the threads. Each machine runs with a fixed number of threads (currently 15). The method of connection is via JDBC. The application threads are performing several different actions on the database. sometimes selects, sometimes updates and sometimes inserts. Additionally, several stored procedures are called. There is a central work queue which has the tasks that need to be done. This runs on a separate "dispatcher" machine. The dispatcher routes work to threads on the other machines. Once all work has been dispatched, it goes back to the top and does it again and again etc...

The problem is that once we startup the application, Oracle runs fine for a period of time (approximately 1 hour). During this time, from the application side it has already gone through the work queue several times. After this time, the cpu usage goes to 100% on the oracle server and stays pinned there forever until we shutdown the database. Even after stopping the application, the cpu usage on oracle stays at 100%...

My original theory was that this was being caused by some messy code in the application. Perhaps cursors weren't being closed. The number of open cursors (from v$sysstat) is pretty high (~2500). But I've gone through all the code and I've made sure that we are closing all of our resultsets and statements. Because we use a connection pool, we can't close the connections, however.

So that's where I am and I'm stuck. I don't know what more to investigate. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone may offer.

Thanks,
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Oct 28 2000 - 14:35:15 CDT