Re: Mutli-database vs. multi-schema for Shared-Web-Hosting ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:09:29 +1000

I'll agree to disagree with Jim.

Multiple schemas just means you create multiple Users. Privileges and Roles means that one User (ie customer) won't be able to dabble in other customers' tables. So far so good.

My concern is where the tables and indexes for each customer will live. Are you going to put Customer A's tables in Tablespace A, and Customer B in tablespace B? If not, then when one file goes awol, multiple customers are going to be inconvenienced.

If so, then you are really violating the intrinsic functionality of tablespaces... provided ALL of Customer A's tables grow the same, have the same I/O patterns and so forth, then fair enough -stick 'em in one tablespace. Otherwise, you are going to be facing I/O problems, fragmentation issues and so forth. One amorphous storage space for a User -that's NOT what tablespaces are supposed to be about.

Personally, I look to what the definition of a database is, and if my needs indicate multiple databases, I'd create them

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000