Re: Typical DB install - security risk?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:09:14 +1100

<jrevenn_at_emory.edu> wrote in message

> I just installed the typical database during an Oracle 8i installation on
> Windows 2000 server. After the installation, I went into DBA studio and
> noticed that a lot of users have been created for me. My very newbie
> question is, which accounts can I delete and which accounts must I keep?
> There is SYS (password:change_on_install). I'm assuming that I am
 supposed
> to change this password and keep the account? I keep hearing a lot about
> Scott (password:tiger(?)). Yes he is on my system, but his password isn't
> 'tiger'. I don't know what it is, but I can't login to DBA studio with
 his
> account. I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

First, the standard users are SYS and SYSTEM, and yes you should change their passwords (from change_on_install and manager respectively) if you intend to do any serious work with this database. For God's sake don't delete them, because they are the key movers in actually being able to administer the database (Oracle won't let you anyway, even if you try, not without some real hard work on your part, anyway).

Next: there is indeed a user called Scott, and his password *is* tiger. I've just fired up DBA Studio here -first it asks whether to connect to the database directly, or go via a Management Server. If you go directly to the database and try and login as Scott/tiger, you will get an error mesasge that says something like "This application requires more database privileges than you have currently granted to you"... if the password had been wrong, it would have said 'invalid username/password'. You can use boring old SQL*Plus to conect as scott/tiger and see that things are working correctly.

(Hint: if you think things are going wrong, always post the actual error message.)

Incidentally, the reason for the ability to connect as Scott is that DBA Studio is intended to be your one-stop-shop for doing admin-y type things to the database (new users, changing privileges, creating tables etc...), not the kind of thing that humble ol' Scott is likely to be permitted to do.

Third, you will see Users CTXSYS, MDSYS, ORDSYS and OUTLN. I only actually know what the last one does (owner of Stored Outlines for SQL stability reasons). But a quick check of, for example, CTXSYS, indicates he owns a whole bunch of spooky-sounding tables, such as DR$CLASS and so on... my advice would be to NOT delete any of these Users, but to change their passwords to anything you fancy.

Fourth: there's also a bunch of Users with vaguely human names (such as Adams, Blake and Clark) who appear to own no tables that I can see. They are probably there to make demo scripts and so on work. General advice is: they can be deleted quite easily, and ought to be if you're paranoid, and no -I couldn't work out what their passwords are either (though you could log in as SYSTEM and simply change them to something you will remember).

Fifth: Scott owns the EMP and DEPT tables (and some others too) which are good for practising with, and whilst you should certainly consider changing his password, I wouldn't actually drop him at this stage (because he owns objects, you'll have to do a 'drop user scott cascade' when the time comes).

Finally, I understand your concerns about the Listener configuration process, but this is definitely something you'll have to become proficient in, and it isn't *that* hard. The basic advice is: if this system is for your own testing and learning and so on, stick with the default database for now, and move on when you feel the need. However, if this database is going out into production at any time, forget it: you can spend ages tweaking it and fine-tuning it, and it still won't be perfect. Production databases deserve proper configuration from the outset.

Regards
HJR