Re: Daylight savings time, shutting down oracle

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:23:05 GMT

krp,

On other database systems that I worked on, each transaction is timestamped. So on those systems, the database had to be down for an hour in the Fall's time change. Oracle uses a sequence number (SCN) to stamp each transaction. So for transaction reasons, you do not need to bring down an Oracle db for the upcoming time change.

But there might be application issues. The application might store the time of a transaction in a table somewhere. There could be ill consequences if the time is changed back in those applications.

HTH,
Brian

kpacek_at_excite.com wrote:

> I'm sysadmin for a few boxes running oracle. Some are Solaris 8,
> oracle 8.0.1 others hp-ux 10.2, oracle 7.3.4 (I think). My DBA's are
> insisting that the db's be shut down between 1:30 -3:30 am Sun, during
> daylight savings time.
>
> Is there any point to this? Can anyone describe how oracle handles
> this or point me to a resource so I can bring the information to them
> to show that there is no reason for this? It seems to me, the box
> really runs GMT behind the scenes, where there is no such thing as
> daylight savings time.
>
> Thanks
> krp
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/