multiple oracle homes - different physical drives

From: <jane_ballard_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:43:50 GMT

Hello all,

        Is it possible to install multiple oracle homes - one for the existing oracle 8.0.5 on Drive E and an oracle 8.1.6 on Drive F.

        The reason behind this thought is that I do not have a standby machine to image, the network guys tells me that it is only possible to backup the data and not the os.

        Oracle tells me that if I want to use the same oracle home, I need to kill off the old oracle 8.0.5 with a sledge hammer.. eg. go

into windows registry and remove a lot of things... and I know from
experience that it is not always a clean remove... then what happens is
that we would have to re-image the entire machine.  That's where the
problems lies... I do not have that capability to reimage.

        One school of thought is to load oracle 8.1.6 on a different physical drive on the same machine.

        any thoughts or is this a crazy idea? I'm open to options. No I can't borrow, beg or still another machine.. I tried that... no budget.. So any thoughts?

Jane

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 27 2000 - 16:43:50 CDT