Re: Is Oracle is CASE SENSITIVE

From: <michaeljenc_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 07:35:30 GMT

In article
<972602198.20813.1.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> There is no need to mention that as the world
 (except for the Microsoft
> empire) is case sensitive.
> Oracle can't do case insensitive searches. In
 fact, I respond this to this
> same question several times a week, and it is
 getting a bit boring. A search
> on deja.com shouldn't have turned up a blank.
> You need to
> - use redundant upper or lower cased columns
 (7.3 and 8.0)
> - or use function based indexes (Oracle 8i
 *enterprise*)
> - or wait for someone promoting their OMNIDEX
 product (you would have found
> that of course with a search on deja also).
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

A few months ago I also searched for some switches how I could make oracel caseinsensitive.  I first could not believe that there
is no such switch. If I search for a name (ie. McGreg) I want to have the results, no matter what case it is written in (MCGregor, ...). Now I know where all the old fashioned, badly readable uppercase word lists come from...

My opinion is that the world is case-insensitive. Proof: For PLS/SQL a 'select' is the same as 'SELECT'...

In MS SQL Server I think it's a feature that seems just essential for a DBMS in today's world...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 27 2000 - 02:35:30 CDT