Re: Upgrading the Oracle client from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6

From: Harvey <harveyb_at_KEEPyourSPAMerolsAWAY.comFromHere>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:39:31 -0600

timf97_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> We need to have an easy method (since untrained users need to be able
> to do it) which will allow us to upgrade Oracle client machines from
> 7.3.4 to 8.1.6.
>
> We have tried to use 8.1.6 to just do an upgrade, but can't get it to
> go cleanly. We also tried to use the updated 7.3.4 Installer to
> uninstall Oracle 7.3.4 before installing 8.1.6, but the uninstall
> leaves the ORACLE_HOME token in the Registry, and we don't want to try
> to explain to users how to remove it.
>
> I'm sure that someone else has had similar problems - and hopefully -
> has a good solution.
> Thanks for any suggestions!

Try this one -

  1. Uninstall the existing software (manually if necessary).
  2. Edit the registry to delete the ORACLE section from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE section.
  3. Clean up the start menu.
  4. Install the new software and perform all configurations necessary.
  5. Using REGEDIT, export the ORACLE section from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE to a file in the Oracle subdirectory.
  6. Copy the Start Menu items (if required/desired) to the Oracle directory.
  7. Copy the \Program Files\Oracle directory to the \Oracle directory.
  8. Copy the entire \Oracle directory to a central server.
  9. Write a batch file to copy the software to the client machine and into the correct locations, and merge the registry entries to the client machine, and delete the previous software.
  10. TEST IT A COUPLE OF TIMES!!
  11. Have the users run the batch file.

You're reconfigured. Received on Fri Oct 27 2000 - 07:39:31 CDT