Re: Shutdown hangon.

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:54:41 -0500

Forgetting about how Oracle is and isn't supposed to work for a second, I agree that the database will unnecesarily wait a *long* time to shut down immediate when it doesn't appear to have to. I have noticed this under 8i, not sure if it has happened under 7.

In any event, the reason is always some bozo that is logged in and has been for quite some time. They usually aren't doing anything. The last time it happened to me, it was a business objects user that had been logged in for 4 days without having done anything.

I kill -9 ed his OS process and the database went down right away.

I have also noticed under 8i that when a session takes out a lock and does not commit that I cannot release the lock by killing the session in Oracle, the session will be marked for kill, but the next day it is still there.

--
Dave A