Re: Typical DB install - security risk?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 07:38:10 -0000

The problem isn't so much the typical install as the default database. The function of the typical install is to get the software in place and working, the presence of the database helps to prove that it works.

Personally I always do a 'typical' install with default database (whatever the platform) for every new release of Oracle I have to handle, just to check that I can make the database work. Then I dump the database and build a new, clean one.

It is VERY dangerous to go to production using the default database unless you have cleaned it up. Several of the accounts installed have DBA rights and well-known passwords.

If you have accounts like

    CTSSYS, MDSYS, DBSNMP, then the password     is usually the same as the account name. These     are typically high privilege accounts.

There are likely to be several accounts with human' names - the passwords to these are things like 'paper', 'wood', 'cotton', and the script that creates them can be found in one of the DEMO directories under the oracle_home. These are low privilege accounts used in various of the SQL and Pro*C demonstration packages.

--

Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison Wesley Longman
Book bound date now 1st Dec 2000