Re: Urgent !!! Character Set Problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:00:40 +1000

<oratune_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:8tadnd$b20$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <39f6bdf0_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
 [Snip]
> > Incidentally, is it me, or do I detect the scent of American
 Imperialism....
> > when I query the language of a database using USASCII7, I am told
 that the
> > language is "American". I must have missed something in my youth,
 but I was
> > unaware that the Americans spoke American or, indeed, that such a
 language
> > ever existed.
> >
> > Bloody Sillycon Valley.
> > HJR
[Snip]

> You really should travel more, Howard. Yes, we speak 'American' here
> in the U.S. It's the only way I can describe it, as it most definitely
> is NOT the Queen's English.
>
> --
> David Fitzjarrell
> Oracle Certified DBA

Who said anything about the Queen? The Scots (in particular Glaswegians) speak nothing remotely approaching the Queen's English. But it's still English. And God help you if you ever travel to Newcastle. But it's still English (nearly).

And Americans speak English, too. In fact, they speak a rather more true-to-Shakespeare form of it than the Brits do these days.

But you knew that. I hear the sound of pot being stirred!

Take care,
HJR Received on Fri Oct 27 2000 - 05:00:40 CDT