Re: Deleting Archive Logs after backup

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:07:48 -0500

Comments below

> OK, I see the problem. It is of course total bollocks, since as we both
> know (and as Oracle should) the file is perfectly up-to-date (at least to
> the point at which it was backed up). My error and misunderstanding, and
> hence the usual profusion of apologies.
>
> The trouble is of course that in *reality* the only required files are the
> ones from the time it was backed up. The problem is simply that the
 control
> file doesn't correctly identify the file as being in hot backup mode. I
> wonder if there's a way to directly update the thing to make it correctly
> realise the situation? Did you ring Oracle support? -and if so, what did
> they say??
>
> I'll have to make enquiries, because this is a crappy situation to find
> yourself in.
>
> Regards
> HJR
 The company having this problem is not my own. I am aware of the problem only because a DBA I work with is friends with the DBA at the shop having the problem. We copied thier database and tried a few things to recover it, but have not had sucsess. Since we are buried in our own work, we haven't been able to play with this for a while. My understanding is that the shop in question uses EMC disk and they have given them 180GB of free disk to use to set up multiple copies of this database to test recovery methods on simultaneously. Not relevant to the case, but I wanted to recognize excellent service when a vendor provides it as it is rare these days.

In any event, what we tried at our shop was editting the archive logs to try and make one look like the missing archive log(s). We got alot right, but there is too much that has to be editted that we don't know about. Also they have tried editing the datafiles themselves to change SCN numbers, but I don't think they have gotten it right yet.

Certainly I don't expect you to work this situation, Howard, but if you do have any ideas (control file etc) by all means feel free to offer them.

As to your question about Oracle support, I don't know if they have been called or not, but I would assume so. My guess is that they would say "so sorry, but you can't recover with gaps in the archive logs".

Dave A Received on Fri Oct 27 2000 - 09:07:48 CDT