Re: Where to 'spend the bucks' - Cost/Benefit advice wanted

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:22:22 GMT

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 10/26/00, 1:58:01 PM, johng_at_mm.com (TurkBear) wrote regarding Where t o
'spend the bucks' - Cost/Benefit advice wanted:

> Hi all,

> Given Oracle's Power-Unit pricing, I need some real-world advice about

the
> relative 'bang-for-buck' for
> CPU type/Speed/Number of

> Ram

> Disk Controller speed/IO in general

> We have a mixed environment, so if you could advise on both DSS/Wareho
 use
> instances, and TP instances ( an average of 200-300 concurrent session
s)
, I
> would appreciate it..

> Mainly I am trying to determine how important CPU speed and number of

CPUs is
> to performance relative to the other factors mentioned above...

> Thanks,

> -----= Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

        Based on my experience (YMMV) I would rank your factors as follows:

  1. RAM
  2. More RAM
  3. Even more RAM
  4. Mirrored disk (if you are looking for bang for the buck you are best off avoiding RAID 5 -- like the plague)
  5. Number of CPUs
  6. CPU speed