Re: Oracle/VMS performance problems with Multithreaded Server

From: Shael Richmond <ksrich_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:20:41 -0500

Malcolm Dunnett wrote:

> I'm running Oracle 8.1.6 on a VMS 7.2 system. I've tried
> setting up the MultiThreaded server on this system. It works
> but the performance with my programs is terrible ( queries
> that take 1 second with a dedicated server process might take 5 or 6
> with the Multithreaded server, for example ) [ ie all I do
> to get the performance difference is change the client connect
> to include a "SERVER=DEDICATED" parameter]. The programs are
> written using Oracle7 OCI calls, they fetch single rows of
> data at a time from the database - I realize they could be
> more efficient using array fetch, but it's never been an issue
> with dedicated server processes.
>
> I realize this is a pretty broad question without more detail,
> but does anyone have similar experiences ( or alternately, good
> experiences with the MTS on a VMS system ). Any ideas if there's
> anything I could do to make MTS useful?

Yes we have had the same problem. MTS works fine under 7.3.3.6 but is terrible on any version of 8. Connects take longer and queries also take longer. Due to lack of support of 7.3.3.6 we are going to put Oracle 8.1.6 into production at one of our sites, but with MTS turned off. We have TAR's open, but so far haven't received any help.

Shael Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 22:20:41 CDT