Oracle/VMS performance problems with Multithreaded Server

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 26 Oct 2000 16:18:29 -0700

  I'm running Oracle 8.1.6 on a VMS 7.2 system. I've tried setting up the MultiThreaded server on this system. It works but the performance with my programs is terrible ( queries that take 1 second with a dedicated server process might take 5 or 6 with the Multithreaded server, for example ) [ ie all I do to get the performance difference is change the client connect to include a "SERVER=DEDICATED" parameter]. The programs are written using Oracle7 OCI calls, they fetch single rows of data at a time from the database - I realize they could be more efficient using array fetch, but it's never been an issue with dedicated server processes.

  I realize this is a pretty broad question without more detail, but does anyone have similar experiences ( or alternately, good experiences with the MTS on a VMS system ). Any ideas if there's anything I could do to make MTS useful?

Malcolm Dunnett      Malaspina University-College   Email: dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca
Information Systems  Nanaimo, B.C. CANADA V9R 5S5     Tel: (250)755-8738