Re: unrecoverable_time column in v$datafile not being refreshed

From: Steve Roper <steve.roper_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:59:45 GMT

Hello,

I checked out UNRECOVERABLE_CHANGE# as Jonathan suggested and it displays the same behavior as UNRECOVERABLE_TIME as discussed earlier in the thread.

regards

Steve Roper
Database Administrator
EDS (UK) Ltd.

In article <972544104.14219.0.nnrp-04.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> My error was assuming that when you took the backup
> of the master database to refresh the Standby, the
> 'last unrecoverable' columns would be cleared, I now
> understand why you have a problem.
>

> >This I am told will cause the Standby database to become unusable.
> >

> Not entirely true - although it may be effectively true for the
> application. Recover would continue and the database
> would start. It is just the object that was loaded unrecoverably
> that would be unusable, Oracle would mark the segments
> as 'logically corrupt'.
>
> --
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
> Publishers: Addison Wesley Longman
> Book bound date now 1st Dec 2000
>
> Steve Roper wrote in message <8t7ld0$414$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >
> >11:00 - A direct load takes place. Log Shipping to the Standby is
> >stopped because a change to the unrecoverable_time column has been
> >detected. Now the Standby has to be refreshed and restarted with a
> >backup from the Master database. This is done.
> >
> >11:55 Everything up and running again.
> >
> >12:00 Another direct load takes place. This time, though, it is not
> >detected because the Monitor has detected no change to the
> >unrecoverable_time column (because there hasn't been one even though
> >direct load has taken place) and the redo logs are transferred and
> >applied to the Standby.
> >
> >This I am told will cause the Standby database to become unusable.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 04:59:45 CDT