Re: SQL Server vs. Oracle

From: Graham Sutcliffe <no-spam>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:35:28 GMT

Whether you want to go with either Oracle or SQL Server is not the only question you should be asking. What kind of experience have you in databases right now and are you sure you want to make a career of it?

When you talk GUIs remember there are third party applications that allow you to administer and develop on the DB. Personally, for Oracle I just can't live without TOAD and for SQL Server I use SQL Navigator. Comparing them both nothing touches TOAD!

Also you should know something about the platform the DB resides. Being a DBA means making your DB work best on the OS it resides on and facilitating upgrades when necesary. If you don't want to use UNIX, then stay away from Oracle because thats where Oracle really shines. The OS is a high consideration.

As for money, your looking in the right field but hey... you want to make good money but hate your job at the same time? Your looking at an early grave.

Graham